Home buying is such as important endeavor for families and individuals. It is such a huge financial move that you want to make sure you are on the right side of things when you pick that perfect starter home or forever dream home.
I remember my experience buying our first home, and MAN what an experience that was. I will write a whole separate post on that journey. However for now, I took to the experts to get all the best tips on buying your first or next home.
Tips to Ensure You are Getting the Best Deal
Tips from Realtor Lauren Taylor
1. Start with Virtual House Hunting. Ask your Agent what type of tools they use to facilitate long distance house hunting. Our buyers benefit from house hunting for months prior to when them arriving at their new duty station. It’s saves homebuyers time and money in the house hunting process!
2. Don’t wait to buy. Home ownership is the greatest wealth separator in America. Many military families wait to purchase a home until retirement and ultimately pay the price as rent increases every year. If you are stationed somewhere for more than 3 years you should consider purchasing a home.
3. Use a REALTOR that specializes in VA Home Loan. The VA home loan is a specialized tool. You wouldn’t ask a pilot to captain a submarine would you?? NO! Ask your REALTOR how many VA home loans they close a month and chose an Agent who is well versed in the 0% down program!
4. Leverage sellers for closing costs. In a low inventory market it is difficult to beat out other offers when you’re requesting closing cost credits. Wait until an inspection has been completed to request credit repairs to help with closing costs. Often sellers won’t want to start the entire process over and will accommodate buyers requests mid-escrow.
Tips from Realtor Erin Ward
1. Make sure you are working with a Realtor who understands the military, the VA loan and the difficulties with PCS’ing. The VA will not underwrite a loan for just any home, so having a Realtor who understands the VA appraisal process is imperative.
2. I often work with buyers as early as a year out from their PCS, knowing things can change, but it allows us plenty of lead time to get them into the home of their dreams when they move to Hampton Roads avoiding lag time or lengthy hotel stays.
3. Get pre-approved! Work with your Realtor to connect you with local lenders experienced with VA loans to know how much house you can afford. It’s important to know this information before you begin your home search so that you look only at the homes that will work for you and avoid those that are outside or even too low for you budget which often leads to a frustrating search.
Tips from Realtor Nadia Anac
1. Work with a local lender and compare rates. Local lenders have a vested interest in the community they are serving, making them more knowledgeable about the area than a larger, national corporation. They will also be more competitive with their rates, because they are smaller companies who want your business. Getting pre-approved is the first step in the home buying process.
2. Bring your best foot forward when putting in an offer. If you really love a house, put the best offer that you are comfortable with. Sometimes even a personal note to the Seller telling them about yourself and why you love the house can make all the difference.
Tips from Realtor Ruby Stults
1. Buying a home is such a good investment opportunity! The VA loan is an amazing benefit, and everyone should take advantage of it. Remember that you can use your VA loan more than once! They cap the amount you can borrow, not how many times you can use it.
2. Keep in mind that if a company offers you a monetary incentive, that money comes from somewhere, and it’s not from their bottom line.
3. Most importantly, don’t be afraid of real estate agents! As a buyer, having an agent costs you nothing. We are here to help save you time and money. Let us.
Are you in the market for a new home? Use one of the amazing ladies above or find a military affiliated Realtor using Millie’s AgentHero here.
Do you have any tips when you purchased a home to get the most bang for your buck? Tell us in the comments below and share this article with your friends so they can too.
If you found this advice, or any of my advice helpful, please consider buying from one of my affiliates at no additional cost to you and supporting By Land, Air, or Sea. When you click and make a purchase within 24 hours (at no additional charge), we receive a small donation. Thank you!